Google
Web Zap*Germs Archive
MAIN

May 14, 2005

Aged 19 to 23? Get a Mumps Vaccination NOW

BBC News reports an epidemic of the mumps virus among young adults in the UK -- over 16,000 in 2004. The virus is spreading among 19-to-23-year-olds who were born before the MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine became widespread in 1988. Some young children who have not been vaccinated are becoming sick as well.

Mumps infects the salivary glands of children, but in adult men it also attacks the testicles and can lead to infertility. Iain Laurie, 23, of London caught mumps from his brother ("what a swine," he jokes), and it wasn't a holiday:
"I had all the other things as a child, like measles and chicken pox, but I never had mumps, and never knew any other children with mumps.

"I fell in the wrong age group and missed out on MMR. I wish I had been vaccinated. It was the sickest I have ever been. I couldn't work for three weeks and lost a bit of money."

[Hat tip: Dave Roberts]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home